Old April 9th 04, 09:36 PM
Robert M. Gary

I agree with you about Flying but its about the only mag I think is
worth reading. The EAA mag is too technical for bathroom reading.
AOPA's Pilot is just too much "following the FARs and AIM and you'll
be the world's best pilot", it seems to not be objective. The IFR mags
get to be repeat themselves too much and I lost interest a couple
years after having my IFR ticket. We really need another Len Morgan.
He wasn't all touchy-feely like Gordon and Wallace but he has the old
time stores that were great (I bought a book of his collections from
the mag a while back). I think they were hoping that Tom Block would
become that but he didn't seem to want to write about the old airline
days. Although the DC-3 drivers are all dead, we'd still like to read
about the old 727 days of hitting the runway on go around, etc type
stores. The young airline guy is interesting but I like the old
stories.

-Robert

(Dave) wrote in message . com...
Is it me, or has Flying become among the worst GA magazines to read?
Why does it seem that all I read about are trip reports from Mac and
Dick Collins that, personally, offer little educational value? Each
of these guys write serveral articles per issue. Are they that hard
up for good writers, or do these guys just like to write everything
themselves? When I open AOPA Pilot, Flight Training, Private Pilot,
Plane and Pilot, etc. I find a good balance of education, reviews, and
good tidbits. All I feel I've gained from reading Flying is knowing
every detail of what's in the Avionics stack of Mac's Barron and
Dick's Cessna P210.