Old April 16th 04, 02:14 AM
SeeAndAvoid

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote
What about those fields with SIAPs but no weather reporting at all?

I havent read every approach chart, yet, but I think every one I've
read has a note about whether the procedure is approved or
not without the local altimeter or one from a designated nearby
airport.
"When local altimeter not received, procedure not authorized"
or
"Obtain Local altimeter setting on CTAF; when not received
use XXX altimeter setting"
At one of our tower controlled airports, there is no AWOS/ASOS,
just an ATIS, and when the tower closes it's just a looped recording
until they reopen. But we get the weather hourly in our computer,
so we have to issue it for a/c heading there.
Just glancing through the SW-1 book, I cant find any airports that
dont have some kind of weather reporting, or a note about alternate
weather or saying procedure not authorized.
Then again, AWOS/ASOS's can fail, and there'd be an airport
with an SIAP without weather reporting.
As always it all comes down to the pilot.
Chris