Old December 29th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Default Playing with the Garmin GNS430/530 WAAS simulator

Peter R. wrote:

A couple of differences I noticed right away is that the WAAS upgrade will
provide a graphical turn line on the moving map for the non-compulsory
waypoints along the approach. Additionally, the GPS will begin flashing a
countdown-to-turn with heading message, followed by a "turn now" message.

The 480 does this as well (in addition to going "ding" at the turn now
point).

The hold was also pretty slick. The GNS430 with WAAS depicted the hold
entry on its moving map, along with another "turn to a heading" message
count-down. At the course reversal of the entry (in a parallel or
tear-drop entry), the GPS again provided a turn-to heading countdown
message and a graphic on the moving map.

It's even more fun if you have a GPSS autopilot. Watching the thing
fly the holds and PT's by itself always amazes me.