Old October 1st 03, 05:23 PM
Jay

What is it that you're hoping the forward sweep is going to give you?

Also, under load, the forward swept wing will bend in a direction that
further increases its load("twist its tips upward"), and so on...
positive feedback... which could cause failure of the structure
("departure" of the wings from the rest of the plane).

(Canuck Bob) wrote in message . com...
I am working slowly on an evolving Fly5k design and considering a
swept forwrd wing. Does anyone know anything about thier design?
Also would anyone have experience with the Sisler Cygnet, Andreasson
BA-7, or Pottier's Bleu Citron designs. The Cygnet seems to be well
thought of but I don't know any owners or pilots that actually flew
one.

I've learned that mild forward sweep (less than 5 degrees)is not much
different than a standard wing. A tapered wing with lots of forward
sweep is prone to twist its tips upward under load so must be
torsionally rigid. I am sticking with the simple rectangular wing
planform and sweep of 3-4 degrees max.

This allows a compact mid wing and with a 30% C spar location the
pilot sits on the c of g with the mac moved forward slightly (app. 1/2
the amount of forward sweep).