Old July 15th 18, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Vario Comparison

krasw wrote on 6/22/2018 12:15 AM:
On Thursday, 21 June 2018 22:34:06 UTC+3, wrote:
Thank you. This is very helpful but it contradicts what an earlier poster stated. If it is adjustable as you have indicated, this is a very good feature.

Gary

As far as I can tell, the Air Vario is the only one using inertial sensors for variometry, represented in the Vertical Air Mass movement needle. This has a setting to be derived from any mix ratio of 100% barometric to 100% inertial. If set to 100% inertial I find it too twitchy, but set to 80% inertial it can be flown like a variometer, but leads it by a second or more. It is confused by other things, such as changing flap position. I can thermal with it even with the engine boom out, which totally hoses the tail pneumatics.

Every other vario since the 302 has had inertial sensors and some claimed to use them, but none seem to. Currently flying with both Air Vario and Clear Nav vario installed.

Why not just read Air Glide S user manual, available online, to get all answers to your questions?

Perhaps too late to be useful, but I've read the manual, and it just covers the
basics. Not much in there that Gary is seeking, or even a less advanced pilot.