Old November 10th 03, 01:43 PM
M. J. Powell

In message , "Gord
writes
"M. J. Powell" wrote:

In message , "Gord
writes

I know that this looks bad for me...but I find it very difficult
to believe that the announcer is sitting in a Lanc as he talks
about "...moving down the runway and just now we lift off and
climb away..." etc. If you ever actually sat in a Lancaster
during takeoff you'd know...the noise is deafeningly
loud...deafening...

Noise-cancelling microphone used by Vaughan-Thomas, mixed by the
engineer with intercom? As frequently used by sports commentators.

Mike

It still doesn't ring true to me Mike...Listen closely to the
announcer here while picturing him in a mind-numbing world of
harsh noise so loud that it's almost painful. He's speaking in an
almost conversational tone. I really can't see him doing that,
he'd be shouting, it's human nature to do so.

Well, it may be irrelevant, but I have a tape recording that I made in a
Vulcan, from take-off to landing, with 4 Olympus jets pushing like mad,
and the intercom speech sounds very similar to the Lancaster recording.
There is very little engine noise audible.
However the O2 masks were the pressure type, which were bigger and
tighter fitting than the wartime ones.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell