Old August 12th 03, 04:53 PM
Nathan Young

Michelle P wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Several of us have been renting twins are seriously looking into buying one.

We have been renting a Seminole but are looking at a Seneca. I
understand the Seneca I is to be avoided. The Seneca II is better and
the III is the best in the batch. Our budget appears to be no more than
200K, but prefer the upper 100s.

I would be interested in hearing any thoughts good or bad on the
Airframe and engines. We are particularly concerned about the turbo
charged Continentals.

Seneca I is non-turbo'd, so take off performance, cruise, and
engine-out performance are a bit doggish. The Seneca II and up are
turbo'd. I have never flown a III, but have spent about 50 hrs in a
Seneca II and enjoy it. Easy to fly, land, and engine out procedures
are straight-forward.

Long-range tanks are a must.

If any of the pilots are tall, beware that front seat room is
compromised by the club seating. At 6'3", I find the legroom very
uncomfortable in the one club-seat Seneca I've flown. The normal 6pax
configuration is fine.

My in-laws have a Seneca II and it always seems like they replace a
few cylinders each annual... Not sure if this is par for the course,
or just reflective of that particular plane.

-Nathan