Old May 23rd 18, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Durango, CO

On Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 9:08:34 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
Flew there with my old Phoebus for a week in 1983 - just after the Hobbs WGC where I helped out. I remember they had a L-13 Blanik that was tied out on ropes that ran through stacked auto tires. Dropped the rope into the tire stack and I reached in for it without looking or thinking. That was when a Boston boy heard his first rattlesnake in anger. I was still running 20 minutes later . . .

It was a good place to fly with nice people. I think there was a tourist train that went by the field from time to time. Sad that it is gone.

ROY

ROY,

the tourist train was (still is?) the Durango narrow gauge steam rail line and the owner of the field (forgot his name) would time it's arrival and buzz the train with the Blanik. Good advertising!

Uli
'AS'