Old September 25th 08, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Shorter Competitions

On Sep 25, 12:47�am, Tuno wrote:
Noel,

All of the four regional contests I've attended had the same schedule
-- practice day on a Sunday followed by six contest days. This allowed
travel days on the sandwiching Saturday and Sunday.

I've always thought it was an ideal schedule. A tremendous amount of
work goes into assembling the staff and towplanes that make it happen,
and doing that for anything less than 5 or 6 contest days just doesn't
make sense.

I'm fortunate to live in Arizona where for years we've had the Arizona
Soaring Association's contest series, which covers a number of
weekends throughout the soaring season, at several locations around
Arizona. The club at El Tiro recently started their own similar
series. If your area doesn't have something similar, I highly
encourage you to talk to other pilots about organizing one. All it
takes is a little leadership and a few pilots who want to do a little
organized contest flying.

I'm happy to share the Excel spreadsheet we use for collating the ASA
series scores with any other club that's interested.

-ted
ASG28� "2NO"

Noel,

Our club CISS ( Central Indiana Soaring Society ) has a contest that
runs all season long . So far this year we have flown 12 contest days
( and I know of 2 more from last week end yet to be scored ) .
Basically any good soaring day at the field allows interested pilots
to compete with each other on a handicap basis . Rules are minimum and
it's extremely popular . I would venture to say that we fly more
contest days at our club than any other in the lower forty eight !
For details check out our website at www.centralindianasoaringsociety.org
Ron (ZA)