Old March 1st 16, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default Is SKEW-T still important to soaring pilots ?

At 13:35 01 March 2016, wrote:
Papa3, what is HRRR ???

High Resolution Rapid Refresh - A browser for viewing weather data
in a graphical form

On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 8:33:35 PM UTC-5, Papa3

wrote:
Well... the SKEW-T logP is one of the most information rich

diagrams one
=
can find. If you know how to really "read" one, you can figure out

lift
st=
rength, height, cloudbase, and winds from a single view at a

glance. It
ta=
kes me about 5 seconds to look at one to decide if it's a good day

or not.
=
That said, the modern interfaces in XCSkies, DrJack, etc. allow

you to
ge=
t a broader view of weather at a macro level including fantastic

trend
info=
rmation. "North looks like it should have higher bases and more

Cu than
S=
outh" or "it's obvious that the models think the encroaching front

shuts
th=
ings down by late afternoon." HRRR is becoming incredibly useful

for my
fo=
recasting as well. =20
=20
So, the answer for me is "Yes, it's still very important." But

since
the=
y are a point forecast, they aren't the only thing I look at.