Old May 27th 18, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Replacement Convex O2 Cylinder

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 10:00:06 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I took my steel O2 bottle from a PIK 20B to be tested and refilled, somehow it got lost in the process. They did give me a new bottle after five months of looking for it. However it doesn't quite fit the built in fuselage tunnel on the PIK correctly.

The original bottle had a convex bottom and the tunnel mount is designed for a convex bottom bottle. The replacement bottle is concave and will not seat completely in the tunnel. It sticks out about two inches to far, which about the difference lost with the bottle not seating correctly.

I can't seem to find a replacement with a convex bottom in steel or aluminum. I fear that this type of bottle is not made anymore. The guy at the supply place said they throw the round bottom ones away, as they are too inconvenient to stack and store. Any thoughts on a source that is FAA legal.

Gary

And the dimensions you are actually looking for would be useful to state? no?

You will find a choice of composite wrapped O2 cylinders with convex bottoms, if you are willing to pay the extra cost. Start by looking at Mountain High or Luxfer. If you find something that works then look around for best pricing.

The solution, as always, may involve a Sawzall. I would look at modifying the tunnel if needed.

It's really more "DOT legal" than "FAA legal". Anything anybody credible is selling as an oxygen cylinder will be fine.

I would try to save weight/make cylinder handling easier and try to go with aluminium (or composite wrapped aluminum).