Old July 17th 09, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

Default Light gun work with ATC COMS - Video

On 07/17/09 14:18, BeechSundowner wrote:
On Jul 17, 11:39 am, Mark Hansen wrote:

Come on Allen. Are you saying that you cannot land if you don't have
the Control Tower in view?

Do you have anything to back in FARS that you can land without a
landing clearance on a NORDO situation.

Allen - This will be my last attempt, as you seem unwilling to see
the point:

When you reach decision altitude and are able to land (based on
visibility, etc.) are you guaranteed you will be able to see
the light gun from the tower? Do you even want to be looking
at the tower at that point in the flight?

The answer to both should be obvious: No.

If you're NORDO, they want you to land and get out of the
system. Period. Once you land, call them on the phone and
let them know you're out of the air. That's it.

Again, practical world, I will land, but I will be betting on "call
the tower" after landing.

7600 isn't a landing clearance and nor is "cleared for the approach" a
landing clearance. The light gun is a visual replacement for "cleared
to land".

Just how will you get this if you can't see the tower? I expect you
will argue that if you can't see the tower, you're not legal to land?
You need to go back and check the regs again.

If it's 200 1/2 I am not going missed because I can't see the tower, I
am landing in the real world, but the book world does not support this
for NORDO situations. It does support this in emergency situation
which I would consider the situation myself.

As you wish.

Best Regards,

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers