Old September 6th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Michael Huber[_2_]

Default Mode S transponder display to ATC?

Mxsmanic wrote:

If you take that to its logical conclusion, it should be illegal for
pilots to listen to any ATC transmission that isn't specifically addressed
to them.

*sigh* I'm going to violate my rule against replying to MXS and reply to
this, since I think it's an easy mistake to make. It isn't, as the ATC (and
any transmitting pilots) are fully aware that all pilots are listening in.
Thus, it is not an invasion of their privacy, since the transmitting party
is aware of these listeners. Further, it is actually beneficial and
intended for all pilots to listen, since listening to all transmissions can
enhance the pilots' situational awareness - they know what the other guy is
doing. So, the argument is that while only one plane is specifically
adressed, the intended recipients are really planes on the frequency.