Old November 28th 04, 03:35 AM
Jay Honeck

Jay, I work for a small-town newspaper and that seems to be the attitude
of
our reporters about our town. Trust me when I say they don't have any
reason
to feel superior.

I was never a reporter -- I worked in the circulation department. (The
newsroom was populated with some very interesting characters, but none of
them would have known an honest day's work if it had punched them in the
nose. But that's another post...)

And although small-town folk can be ignorant, they are almost never stupid.
They catch on quickly, and will only be suckered once.

Big city people, on the other hand -- especially those who willingly spend
up to 3 hours each day "commuting" -- are, almost without exception,
exceptionally stupid.

What we always found hilarious was that the locals would rail endlessly
about the horrendous traffic, yet would never vote the tollways -- the main
source of their traffic woes -- out of existence. In fact, most Chicagoans
I met supported them, refusing to see that stopping 16 lanes of traffic
every 15 miles to collect 40 cents was the root cause of their misery.

We (those of us who sucked the big city money, but lived in lovely
Wisconsin) always figured that the tollways were a pretty good IQ test,
since any human of passing intelligence would never choose that lifestyle.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA