Old November 11th 04, 10:13 AM
Ian Strachan

In article , Stephen Haley
writes

I know that the faulkes foundation use a falke to tow their DG505s arround
see http://www.fffoundation.co.uk/mgliders.html

It must be pointed out that this is the 105 hp "Rotax Falke", not the
original Scheibe Falke with the 45hp Stamo engine!

We also have a Rotax Falke at Lasham with a tow hook and occasionally
use it for towing light gliders like K-6 and glass 15m ships. Lasham is
a 2000 yard field in the E/W direction. However, we have a fleet of 5
dedicated tug aircraft as well. So the Rotax Falke does not get used
that much for towing, but is for exercises in field landing, navigation
and soaring generally.

Its handling in a thermal is better than earlier Falke designs and it
goes up reasonably well engine-off, even in our weak English thermals.
Where it loses out to a straight glider is in L/D. A very useful
instructional aircraft, though, and at a small gliding club with a
reasonable length of field, can be used as a standby towplane, perhaps
when the main towplane is out for servicing or when a large queue
develops for tows. I would not use it as the sole towplane but buy a
second-hand towplane to take the main air tow load at the field.

--
Ian Strachan
Lasham Gliding Centre, UK