Old February 21st 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

Default Which is easier: Boeing to Airbus, or Airbus to Boeing?

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Is there an operating mode in the A320 that will give you unconditional

direct
control of the throttles no matter what the aircraft's configuration or
condition, as if they were mechanically linked?

Yes, and it is the second pair of clicks in 'Click, click,.. click, click.'
That's the sound of the autothrottles being disconnected (the first pair is
the sound of the autopilot being disconnected).

All that automation is wonderful, but with 35 primary computers talking to
each other, sometimes the lesser prioritized computers don't perform as
commanded when commanded. Just like with Windows and a full hard-drive,
there is some lag in some components. The autothrottles are slow to
recognize a slow machspeed condition when approaching mountain wave
activity, which incidentally was how the MD-80 autothrottles acted too.

I can land the A-319 in 3000' at midweight with idle reverse and without a
brake temperature warning. I simply go 'click, click,.. click click' and
land it like a Cessna.

Transition training in the Bus teaches pilots how to use the automation.
Then they fly with me and can't get the automation to fly right in the real
world. I gently remind them that they can turn off the automation and fly
the airplane. It works a charm.

D.