Old December 19th 10, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default plastic or metal fenders on the trailer?

On Dec 18, 9:01*pm, glidergeek wrote:
On Dec 18, 5:55*pm, chris wrote:

Lost another plastic fender to another blown tire [insert lecture on
changing tires at 6yrs]. *I can buy metal fenders locally for like
$18. *Or somewhere I need to find a source for the plastic ones for my
old 1979 Komet trailer.

Who sells the plastic ones? (who supports Komets in the US?)

Is there any downside to switching to metal fenders over the plastic
ones?
Was wondering if there is an advantage to the frangible / tear away
quality of the plastic ones or metal should be fine.

Hey it is cold and rainy, good time for a trailer discussion and I
need an answer this week anyway.

Chris
Atlanta, GA, US

Buy steel fenders @ a trailer supply place, take them & have them
powder coated bolt them on and you can sit on them and change your
socks and shoes. Can't do that with plastic.- Hide quoted text -

Not true, I do that with my plastic fender, they have built in steps
(3)n I can put my full weight on all portions, even stand securely on
the top of the fender to access the trailer roof, Difficult to do
that with a smooth steel fender without traction grips on dedicated
step areas.

I powder coated various parts of the frame and fender supports, IMO
powder coating will not last on the thin steel of a fender. Powder
coating will add to the cost and make it as expensive at a plastic
one. Of course, YMMV

aerodyne