Old March 8th 04, 03:32 PM
Teacherjh

The numeric value 1013 is
not in the recommended range, and it raises the question of a thousands
separator, which is language dependent, so that some cultures would use
1 013 (and would need a no-break space to prevent undesired line
breaks, and an en space to avoid too wide a gap, and cannot get both)
while some would use 1'013 or 1.013 or 1,013.

I think this depends on the context of usage. In aviation, I think the
thousands separator would be omitted most of the time, it's primarily a
convenience when you have lots of digits, and four isn't "lots". As for units,
it depends on what you are integrating with. In aviation, you are integrating
with nothing, so you could measure in quattloos for all it matters. It is in
engineering, where many conversions and calculations are taking place, that the
units need to fit into a system and kPa would be preferred.

I live with meters, millimeters, and centimeters just fine. And
(interestingly) in aviation, I live with hundreds of feet and thousands of feet
just fine too. (I flight plan in thousands, such as 4.5K for 4500 feet, but
weather comes in hundreds, as in 45 for a cloud layer at the same alititude. I
kinda wish it were more consistant, but only kinda. Each system has its place.

Jose