Old April 14th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default A sad day for aviators...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
It is indeed a sad day. I wished all of them luck in their new endeavors.

Sad, but inevitable, in an era when we can get up-to-the-minute
computerized weather, in an easy-to-interpret graphic format, both at
home and in-flight.

When I get FSS briefings now, I almost always have ADDs open on my
computer screen, and I am usually able to glean more information from
my screen than from the briefer's voice. I sometimes ask questions
about a specific thing I'm seeing on radar, or in a METAR, that the
briefer obviously hadn't noticed, or couldn't see.

They used to joke that I had better equipment than they did; now
they're gone. This is not a coincidence.

Consolidating the FSS was as inevitable as the loss of paperboys and
ice men. Times and technology have passed them by. Twas ever thus.

I miss telehone operators.