Old August 20th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Default panel Mounting 496

Ray Andraka wrote:

OK, I have a 496, and an air gizmo mount, which I'd like to put on my
panel. I'm curious to the signoffs needed:

The Air gizmo I think should be allowed to be installed by the
owner/pilot as an interior decoration as long as it doesn't involve
drilling or cutting the panel. Correct? If I have to cut the panel or
drill holes, do I need an A&P signature? The W&B change is negligible I
believe.

It is a minor alteration and needs to be signed off by an A&P as such.
An owner cannot do that. Drilling or cutting does not affect that.

In order to wire the power into the aircraft power (not through a cigar
lighter plug), I think I need an A&P signature, and all work has to
conform to 43.13, nothing more correct?

Yes. One other way to go is to have the A&P wire up a cig lighter plug
under the panel where you can't see it. That way when the next
latest/greatest comes out you're ready to go. I have two extra cig
lighters under the panel. I have one wired directly to the battery so
it is always hot, that way I can recharge a cell phone or whatever. The
other is wired to come on with the master, that way the GPS fires up
automatically.

How about running extension wires for the XM USB and remote antenna to
the top of the glareshield with the wires behind the panel? I imagine
that needs an A&P sign-off if the wires are tie-wrapped into place?

No, it wouldn't.

OK, and the final question: It looks like in order to fit it in, I'll
need to pull the ancient Foster Loran and it's tray out. That's surely
going to need somebody's sign-off. Does that have to be pulled by an
avionics shop (it does have a connection to the autopilot switch), or
can that be done under an A&P's supervision and signature as well? I
figure I'll replace the Loran antenna with a comm antenna and leave the
end available on the panel for my handheld.

An A&P can do that. You can do all the work, just have him look it over
and sign it off. He'll have to change the placard on the autopilot
switch to reflect that the loran was removed.