Old June 4th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

Default Defense against UAV's

"Paul J. Adam" wrote:

:In message ,
:writes
:On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 22:33:09 +0100, "Paul J. Adam"
wrote:
:
:snipped for brevity
:
:I've got a question, Paul. How susceptible would these UAVs be to a
:good, old fashioned "thumping"? I guess the question would go to any
:of the experienced fighter guys, too.
:
:I cheerfully admit that I don't know - we don't have enough spare UAVs
:for that kind of trial

The answer is obvious, if you 'thump' it with something other than a
helo. For the little 1-2 foot wingspan jobs, they'll go right down.

I doubt a helo downwash is going to be enough to do the job, though.

:Do we even need to shoot the *******s?
:
:I'd like to keep the options open. Come in from above (where the sensors
:can't see you) and see if the downwash takes it out: if not, then donate
:some half-inch Raufoss at 1,100 rounds a minute.

So would I. The difference is that I want to use some 20mm shells at
6,000 RPM.

[Paul might want to look up the firing rate for that GAU-16 on the
SH-60 (slower - only 750 RPM), the ammo supply (100 round can), and
the intended purpose of said weapon ("anti-surface warfare and
anti-light armor weapon"). This MIGHT give him some clue about why
our opinions about how to do this differ - but, knowing Paul, it
probably won't.]

territory."
--G. Behn