Old January 12th 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Yaw control in a tandem rotor helo?

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
I've been working with a conventionally configured helicopter for a
few months and this suddenly started eating my brain.

In a 2 rotor helicopter you are countering the torque of one rotor
with the other rotor. But how do you do a pedal turn? In a coaxial
I'd think you'd increase the pitch of once set of blades and decrease
the other. But what do you do in a tandem, like a CH-46? Increase
the pitch, you get more torque, but you also get more lift, so the
aircraft would move forward or backward -

Any helo pilots out there that can set me straight?

Increase pitch for the portion of the rotation that the direction of blade
travel would "drag" the assembly sideways.
--
Jim in NC