Old September 26th 12, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Best performing Vario?

On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:06:41 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
On Saturday, September 22, 2012 11:58:15 AM UTC-4, Craig R. wrote:

In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time.

I recently purchased the LX NAV V7 vario coupled to the Naviter Oudie with See You Mobile.

This setup is like CHEATING it is so easy to center a thermal. The vario is accurate with multiple averagers, and with the Thermal Assist function, it tells you when and where to move your circling to, so you can nail the core of the thermal.

I've used a Cambridge 302, an LNAV, and several others. But this setup is in my opinion in a league of its own.

Here is a picture of the thermal assist:

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/seeyo...lAssistant.jpg

I may be wrong, but I think Winpilot had the thermal assistant first (at least, has had it for 10 years or so) and it still works better than the SYM version: clearer presentation, more information, comes and goes when you want it to.