Old June 17th 04, 09:47 PM
Dennis Fetters

EmailMe wrote:
The post above contains the statement "First, Rotax does
warrant the 582 engines used in the Mini 500 and always has."

Yet, the the following was entered by the NTSB investigating an
engine-out fatality in November 1998 which was 1 year previous to Mr.
Fetters statement.

https://extranet.nasdac.faa.gov/pls/..._BRIEF_REPORT?
EV_ID=20001211X11436&AC_VAR=FALSE&ENG_VAR=FALSE&IN J_VAR=FALSE
&FT_VAR=FALSE&OCC_VAR=FALSE&WTHR_VAR=FALSE&PNARR_V AR=FALSE
&FNARR_VAR=FALSE&CNARR_VAR=FALSE&NARR_VAR=mini%205 00

"Although the kit helicopter was built according to plans, the engine
manufacturer did not recommend several of the engine modifications
found on the accident helicopter. Additionally, the engine
manufacturer did not recommend the installation of this model engine
in the helicopter and published the following warning with the engine
manual: 'This engine, by its design is subject to sudden stoppage.
Engine stoppage can result in crash landings, forced landings or no
power landings. Such crash landings can lead to serious bodily injury
or death.'"

Is it normal for Rotax to "not recommend" an engine for a particlar
aircraft yet to also still "warrant" its use in that same aircraft ?

Thanks

Email, you forgot to post the part of that report that said:

"According to the Rotax representative, "...the modified tuning and
non-conforming parts of the engine from stock configuration..." was not
recommended; however, some modifications, such as the "PEP" exhaust
system, were recommended and marketed by the helicopter kit manufacturer."

This report you posted comes from the Gil Armbruster crash, and has
already been reported on and further explained on what happened to cause
that crash. Gil was a friend of ours, and everyone knows how much Gil
liked to modify and experiment with his Mini-500. He later purchased the
PEP exhaust from us, one of the first ones to do so. He refused to use
the factory recommended jetting and wanted to experiment on his own. He
convinced himself that the system needed smaller main jets for high EGT
adjustments in hover, and I tried to explain to him it needed different
needles and needle jets for cruse adjustments and main jets were only
for full power, as we sent him. I begged him to use our jetting system
and explained why. I offered to buy back the PEP but no deal. Time
proved I was right and Gil was wrong. His engine seized because the main
jet was to small. It was good in a hover but when he pulled in more
power in flight the main jet could only allow so much fuel and it caused
the engine to lean out and seize.
He crashed into the top of a 50 foot tree and fell nose first to his
death. In time the PEP proved to be a deferent advantage for the
Mini-500, so much that we made it mandatory to install.

Rotax did sell Revolution Helicopter engines directly and specifically
for the Mini-500. Rotax did warranty the Engine. Now, what was the point
you were trying to make here?

Dennis Fetters