Old January 2nd 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Dawley Aviation PIREP, or: Atlas is BACK

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
All in all, a very pleasant experience, and a real pleasure to work with
a guy that's so knowledgeable. In answer to questions, Steve went on at
great length about the metallurgy behind the work, and the reasons
exhaust systems fail. (Incidentally, he said that the best thing that
EVER happened to their business was everyone running "lean of peak" and
driving their EGTs up above 1500 degrees. As temperatures approach 1600
degrees, the metal simply starts to fail, and you end up saving pennies
on gas, and blowing dollars on exhaust systems.)

Yeah...he's really knowledgeable....on myths and legends.

Well, I suspect what he *means* is that people are leaning incorrectly in
attempting to run LOP,

Well, you said "running", so it's still open...

OTOH, I wonder if he ever found out how much damage was done using the
techniques that (literally) "everyone" used in the past of running a few
degrees of peak. Remember that such was THE technique for years and years.

The problem is that people do two things wrong in GETTING to LOP; either
chickening out and staying near peak, or they make the transition from ROP
to LOP by taking several minutes while the engine is near peak.

Unless that's what he's talking about (I'm doubtful) I've seen nothing to
indicate he knows what the hell he's talking about.

and/or they are trying to run LOP with carbureted engines.

LOP with carburated engines is not a problem other than the likely roughness
that would cause kidney problems.

Everyone is trying to save fuel nowadays, with avgas so high, and people
are simply cooking their exhausts systems in the process.

And how would that differ from the late 70's?

Steve has no reason to lie (in fact, he has every reason to say just the
opposite!) -- and, as sales manager of the largest exhaust shop in the
world, I suspect he has figured out where his customers are coming from.

Didn't say he lied, I said he doesn't know what he's talking about. There's
a likely disconnect between an exhaust shop and expertise on engine
management. We've seen plenty that indicates the engines shops are just
parroting the myths and legends as well.