Old August 12th 03, 11:20 PM
David Martin

I flew in the 15M Nationals at Hobbs. Interestingly it was the first
contest that I flew the TAT task. I like it! I understand the 15
minute rule but don't like it and think it should go away. The time
management doesn't seem all that hard to me. Go as far as you can
into the first cylinders and then for the last cylinder set your goal
as the finish point and just watch your distance compared to the time
left. I turned the first day near Andrews at 58 miles out with 30
minutes left and finished about 2 minutes early. On day 8 with Kenna
and Wink as the turns, I went 68 miles from finish with 30 minutes
left and made it back two minutes over. Pretty amazing when you think
about it. (But I digress) It all seems to a matter of judgement about
what the weather is doing and how fast you think you can fly. But
that is always the case that you have to make judgements. I do like a
finish gate and feel that it is safer than a cylinder. As you are
finishing you can hear others calling 4 miles and knowing your own
location it is much easier to look for others as everyone approaches
the finish line from generally the same direction.

David Martin
ASW 27 BV