Old March 25th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
M[_1_]

Default Cost of ownership????

On Mar 21, 6:20 am, "Lou" wrote:
I (like everyone else) am considering purchasing a plane. I've looked
up the cost of ownership in this group and came up with some good
information. However, I'm looking for a spreadsheet that I can plug
the numbers into.

Forget the spreadsheet. The single most important thing you should do
as an owner is to fly a lot. 150+ hr a year. 200+ hr is even
better. Do that for a few years, and if your funds is getting low,
sell the plane and you can say to youself that you had owned a plane
once, flew to many interesting places, and it didn't cost you more
than renting, and you were able to make trips that a renter won't be
able to do. Mortgage your house if you have to, but you *must* keep
flying a lot of hours a year as long as you own it. It's worth it.

The worst thing you can do as a owner is to let the maintenance cost
eat up all your gas money, and you ended up keeping a hangar queen for
the next owner, one with a rusty engine no less. There's nothing
sadder than that.