Old January 5th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Maynard

Default Thinking about buying a Zodiac XLi

On 2008-01-05, Vaughn Simon wrote:
There is one for rent at my local airport (LNA) I have checked out in and
used for several hours. There are things I really like about it, and things I
don't. The superior visibility alone is almost worth it to me...almost. On
balance, I have happily gone back to the rental Cessnas. Be sure to get all of
those 5 or 10 hours in a Zodiac, and then you will know if it is the plane for
you. A few trips around the patch with a demo pilot won't do it.

Okkay, so what don't you like about it? It's going to be tough for me to get
several hours in one.

I have reluctantly come to a conclusion about LSAs as our regulations
presently exist in the USA: If you want a plane with a bulletproof engine that
any small-plane A&P can fix, then you want an 0-200. If you want a full-tank,
fill-both-seats cross-country machine, then you need something powered by an
engine lighter than an 0-200; probably something like a 912. There is no free
lunch.

Hm. With a useful load of 550 pounds, and a 30-gallon tank, and me and my
roommate together weighing 350 pounds, that leaves 20 pounds of luggage,
enough for a weekend. What am I missing?

Where I fly, the Zodiac is the only rental that is not routinely sent out
with the tanks full.

Has it got tabs?
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com