Old February 15th 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cavedweller

Default Wing De-Icing Question

On Feb 14, 9:12*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
K l e i n wrote :

On Feb 13, 3:36*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Feb 13, 1:44*pm, "Robert11" wrote:

Hello,

I guess de-icing is going to be a popular subject.

Question, please: *On commercial jet airliners like, e.g., a 767 or
7

57, is
there any in-flight deicing system for the wing and tail surfaces,
othe

than a leading edge pneumatic boot ?

What about the "main," large upper surfaces ?

How in general is wing de-icing accomplished on these new, modern
jets

?

Thanks,
Bob

Jets don't typically have boots. Most use hot air stollen from the
engines to heat the leading edges. Some use a "leak" system to drip
anti-freeze like solution on the tail surfaces to avoid having to
plumb the hot air to the rear, although this is less common. I'm not
sure that I woudl call the type of plane that crashed less modern
than a 767 considering by-pass jet engines (the type in a 767) have
been around longer than turbo prop engines that were involed in this
recent crash.

-Robert

The more I hear about this, the more it sounds like tailplane icing.
Take a look at
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...60735779946for a NASA
produced video on the subject.

Note that this flight started its plunge right at or after the outer
marker. *The outer marker is where you normally lower gear and flaps.
Lowering flaps is the thing that causes the tailplane stall if the
tailplane is iced up.

Rubbish.

Bertie- Hide quoted text -

The NASA study on tail stall notwithstanding?