Old January 20th 04, 01:05 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 1/19/04 4:52 PM, in article ,
"Peter Kemp" peter_n_kempathotmaildotcom@ wrote:

I'd be interested to know what experiments, if any,
the programme did in order to reach its conclusions. Obviously they are
quite correct about kinetic energy and momentum, but transfer of
momentum operates in many different ways depending very much on the
nature of the materials in which the transfer occurs.

I have to admit I missed the show and will keep an eye out for the
inevitable rerun as it would be one I'd like to see.
---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - Drink Faster

I watched a portion of Myth Busters where the two knuckleheads tried to
debunk the "explosive decompression" phenomenon in the movies. You get the
picture. Gun goes off in plane. Fuselage rips open and 6-8 passengers, in
flight meals, luggage, and an unsuspecting flight attendant fly into the
atmosphere.

They pressurized a bone-yarded fuselage with a huffer and used a remote
control .45 to shoot out windows and fuselage to see if a large hole would
expand out the small starter hole.

Results: Small holes stayed small and made hissing noises.

Conclusion: Myth. Busted.

They failed, however, to introduce a 300/.78 slipstream into the equation,
but I doubt it would have changed the result.

Point being that these guys seem to make some critical assumptions that
*might* affect the results. I didn't see the whole show, but I don't
remember them ever addressing the lack of slip stream.

--Woody