Old September 26th 16, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Default AA Butterfly versus CNv LCD wind calculation

I agree with you that the Butterfly is the best "all in one" on wind from the marketing on the product and the reports from the pilots. I was ageeing that my question was "indirectly" answered in terms of concensus that a fixed compass integrated with a vario is going to be faster, better, more accurate in a straight line...

I hope that clears me.

I'm just not sold yet on the importance of the hyper accurate wind data. Im way to busy looking out the window and usually only listen to the speed to fly. Maybe a special been for significant wind change would be useful to hint to the pilot that therre is something of value to check? Cross referencing for wind changes in a thermal, street, sheer line or wave or something like that is interesting, but I certainly am not doing it often at current.

I like to try and feel with my rear as much as possible while cross referencing with my ears and the vario. I also generally have not flown with the Butterly. I only played with one for 1 week at a contest. Not enough time to master it and ultimately chose a ClearNav Vario and a LXNav S10 backup this spring for my new panel. I do not think the butterfly is worth the price...

SMF
7T