Old May 15th 04, 12:20 AM
Ian Cant

Before making or enforcing rules, it would be prudent
to get some real and up-to-date information. The SSA
annually publishes an abstract of US fatal accidents,
which may or may not be complete. But many accidents
and 'incidents' go unreported, or are reported but
not recorded or followed up. An accessible and reasonably
complete database of things that have gone wrong might
lead to useful and acceptable suggestions for future
accident abatement. When people are shown WHY rules
are made, with supporting evidence, they generally
self-enforce [Darwin had some thoughts on this].

However, in the end, we all accept a certain degree
of risk by choosing to fly, and that means that some
accidents will always happen either by bad luck or
bad judgment. Neither can be legislated or enforced
away.

Ian

At 22:12 14 May 2004, Miguel Lavalle wrote:
Robert,

I don't know if a program like this would be implemented
in the US, where I fly. But I would like to learn its
details hoping to learn something and apply it to my
own flying. This is the first time I read about hard
evidence of systematic safety improvement. Where can
I get more information?

Regards

Miguel

At 20:30 14 May 2004, Robert Danewid wrote:
Not true!

The Swedish Soaring Federation has been delegated all
authority over
gliding by the Swedish CAA. Since 1993 we have reduced
our accident rate
by 50%.

You do not need a lot of rules, you need a few good
rules, and the power
to enforce them!

Robert