Old July 24th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Electric Sonex

Bill Daniels wrote:
See: http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm#d

Well, it wouldn't work for me but the idea might be developed into a
pre-solo trainer. . A one hour duration could translate into 45
minute instruction sessions costing $50. Dunno...might work for a
flight school. No cross country, of course. That would require a
piston engine.
New lithium phosphate cells can be recharged in 5 minutes - if you
have access to a VERY high amperage charger

Bill Daniels

No if that thing has enough energy stored to fly for 1 hour then assuming
you are talking about daytime VFR flight then the flight can on last 30
minutes.

Sec. 91.151

Fuel requirements for flight in VFR conditions.

(a) No person may begin a flight in an airplane under VFR conditions unless
(considering wind and forecast weather conditions) there is enough fuel to
fly to the first point of intended landing and, assuming normal cruising
speed--
(1) During the day, to fly after that for at least 30 minutes; or
(2) At night, to fly after that for at least 45 minutes.

Now maybe they took the 30 minute reserve into account when they said 1 hour
but I didn't see that any where in the story.

I kind of doubt that the electric engine that is going to be able to power
an aircraft in a commercially usable way is going to come from a company
that's last engine product was a modified VW engine. Unless he has hired a
metric butt load of really sharp folks and has a megabutt load of cash to
throw at the problem.