Old January 22nd 04, 03:05 PM
Tim Mara

I owned the first Hornet (Carbon Hornet) to be fitted with the Streifeneder
"Libelle" winglets (this glider can be seen on the SSA Directory), until
then the winglets were designed and intended for the 201 Libelle only... The
Streifeneder kit was exceptional BTW!, very complete right down the rubber
gloves for doing the glass work...I also installed turbulators using the
suggested location tested by Ron Baker on his Club Libelle..
The Turbulators made no "noticeable" improvement though I never did any
testing before or after, the winglets definitely did improve handling,
especially at low thermal speeds. The Hornet does BTW share the same wing as
the Club Libelle and neither of these gliders share the same wing as the 201
or 301 Libelle....
I have also spoken to others who have flown the 201 Libelle with these same
winglets and all claim a significant improvement in handling..as for
performance improvements in L/D I doubt they or the turbulators will make
very large improvements....but, improving low speed handling does improve
overall performance making climbs easier and then of course better. None of
the performance testing done by anyone ever has measures of real everyday
performance, meaning climb, low speed in turns or achieved climbs in choppy
thermals so we rarely discuss these factors when evaluating gliders and they
are of course all significant factors in overall performance.
Turbulators are cheap and easy to install so regardless of any large
improvement can be a useful experiment.
I always enjoyed the Libelle despite it's somewhat touchier handling, it is
not difficult, just requires a bit more feel and "dancing".....the Hornet
was a wonderful sailplane, easy handling, very forgiving and really just all
around a great flying ship...before and especially after adding the
winglets.
tim
"Aspley Nursery" wrote in message
I have flown last year a Hornet of some friends with turb tapes and
winglets. Although it was nota comparative test I must say that it seemed
much better than the standard aircraft.

This was in therms of all speeds and I believe handling.

I won't offer the owners names without permission but if you wish to talk
directly get back to me.

There is a Std Libelle flying in Australia with winglet but not sure of

the
performance changes.

Robert Percy

"Olfert Cleveringa" wrote in message
Hello,

since some time, Hansjörg Streifeneder has been offering winglets for
Libelles and Hornets. Has any of you tried this out and can give some
experiences?

Like Christoph I would be interested in turbulators and other things to

keep
the Hornet nice and possibly even better.

Thanks, Olfert.

Christoph Barniske schreef:

Hi,

has anyone informations about improving the performance of the Libelle
(it has the same wing-profile as the Hornet and Club-Libelle, I

believe)?

thanks