Old December 15th 17, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default ADS-B Update

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 12:40:07 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 11:29:04 AM UTC-8, wrote:
There's someone in my club (we're Canadian but he's thinking of doing a fair amount of soaring in the U.S. in the future now that he has his own ship) who is considering transponder installation and ADS-B. If I understand the article if he wants full 2020 compliance the way to go right now would be a Trig TT22 (the transponder he is thinking of buying) combined with the TN70/TA70 correct? Antennas shouldn't be a problem as it's an early ASW-20.

If you want to talk about the PW-5, well I also know another Canadian pilot who owns one and flies it exclusively in the U.S. When she installed a Trig T22 and Powerflarm last winter the avionics shop did run the NMEA output from the Powrflarm to the transponder. From my reading of your article I gather this would A: not provide any official compliance with ADS-B requirements (they didn't think it would) and B: the output would show up on some ADS-B-in equipment but not the certified ones, or any of the ground based systems? I would be interested in the rationale behind that decision.

Thanks for the article and the posts.

Dealing with Canadian registered aircraft and compliance with USA regulations is well beyond my area of comfort. Even the approval process for doing installation of a transponder in Canada is not something I have any understanding of. Canada has nothing like the 2020 Compliance regulations in the USA. OTOH folks in the GA avionics business in Canada might be able to help discuss how they do USA complaint ADS-B Out installs for GA aircraft planning on crossing the border.

The simplest thing may be not to worry about seeking 2020 Compliance unless there is a reason you need to, just install a TN72 for TABS output in the glider, do that install with SIL=1.

---

PowerFLARM NMEA Out connected to a TT22 or TT21 in the USA provides...

o Long range visibility to other PowerFLARM (with 1090ES In option) equipped gliders, hopefully to several tens of miles.
o Visibility to GA aircraft with portable ADS-B 1090ES In or dual link receivers (not UAT only receivers)
o Visibility to TCAS I and II, military IFF, and PCAS systems via the basic transponder
o Visibility to ATC via SSR when within radar range via the basic transponder

It does not provide
o Visibility to aircraft with IFR/panel mount ADS-B 1090ES In traffic displays
o ADS-B vsibility to ATC (but you have visibility via transponder when within SSR coverage)
o Visibility to aircraft with any UAT In only receivers (portable or panel mount).
o Does not make the aircraft an ADS-R and TIS-B client aircraft (which PowerFLARM won't decode anyhow).

Now the TN72 is available it probably makes sense for any people who have a SIL=0 install to replace that PowerFLARN or other NMEA connection with a Trig TN72 GPS to at least get a TABS install.

Would only provide visibility to gliders and portable or panel mount receivers inside of radar coverage? Needs to be pinged to broadcast, no? (OK that's a lot of places but not everywhere).