Old September 7th 18, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Too many accidents

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 7:44:44 AM UTC-7, 2KA wrote:
Actually, it appears to me that it is sort of the other way around. Last night I did an informal survey of accident data over the last 5 years, and it appears to me that inexperienced pilots rarely have fatal accidents. I could only find a couple that involved pilots with less than 1000 hours total time.

Instead, the themes that seem to jump out a

- Experienced or highly experienced pilots
- Older pilots (most were in their 60s or 70s)
- Perhaps somewhat limited experience in make/model

I think it is possible that overconfidence in the face of declining physical ability is a big contributor to fatal accidents.

I've been suspecting for a while that this is the case.

Slower reactions. Worse tolerance of physical and mental stress. Reversion to habit from a familiar aircraft when in a different one. Sometimes even actual medical events.

I'm 62 years old with 4000 hours.

55 with 400-and-something, and haven't flown much since getting a new job and moving to Moscow at 51. It's a worry if/when I get a chance to fly again..