Old May 30th 11, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Default Launch Order

On May 30, 11:19*am, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.
wrote:
Just curious as to how it's done elsewhere. *I fly at a commercial
operation and the priority for launch always goes to the school
gliders....this makes sense...the student has scheduled for a specific
time days in advance.... Next come the renal ships and glider rides and
they too have been scheduled for a specific time. * If a private ship is
pointed down the runway, meaning they are ready for tow and a school
plane needs to launch, they take precedence. *I do a lot of hook up, not
an employee just another glider pilot trying to be helpful but
occasionally one of the "glassholes" gets their panties in a wad. *Every
one gets launched but perhaps as quickly as they might like.

The students, glider rides and rentals keep the operation open and pay
the bills to a greater degree than a private ship paying for a tow and a
place for their trailer. * *Any suggestions on this procedure?

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

The owner of the tug obviously wants to keep his investment in gliders
and instructors working. Your post says this is is a commercial
operation, not a club or a charity, so the answer seems clear:
Business class. If you, mr. private glider, want a tow Right Now,
thereby idling my investment in a training glider, instructor, and
lowering my throughput of students, go for it, that will be $80. If
you want to pay $40, wait until the students rentals and rides are
done. Now everybody's happy.

(If the private gliders are still unhappy, start a club. Pitch in to
buy a towplane and lease it back to the commercial operator. Now you
get to go first in "your" towplane. I bet the occasional $80 tows will
soon start to look cheap!)

John Cochrane