Old October 17th 04, 12:31 AM
Dick

I was thinking that welding would ruin the temper of the gear leg and I'd
like to salvage it; talking 2 of 4 bolts and could drill another in a new
location.

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news ..
In article ,
(Drizler) wrote:

"Dick" wrote in message
. com...
What would be a way to fix a mismatch in holes in steel without

ruining
the
temper? Specifically a main gear leg which it bolts up to a plate .

Two of
the four holes are about 1/3 diameter off. The bolts are 3/8" od.

Possibilties, as I see it, a elongate existing holes in one part to

fit
the 3/8" bolts; drill new 3/8" holes in new location; install 1/4"

bolts in
mismatched holes. I don't have access to tooling
or machinery that could drill out the holes to say 9/16", thereby

replacing
the 3/8 with bigger bolts.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dick

You could go with a larger bit in a standard 3/8 drill by buying a
larger bit with a cut down shank. A bit more pricy and harder to get
but surely at lowes or a true value hardware. One of those stepped
bits would do it as well. If its not thick or hardened a tapered
reamer would work but it would be slow and have a slight taper to the
bore.

Why not replace the plate, or, weld the hole in the plate shut, weld in
reinforcing to the plate, and redrill?

Elongation and using 1/4" bolts are a non solution -- especially in a
landing gear installation.