Old January 22nd 21, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

Default tophat (xcsoar) and LX7007 (pro igc)

On 1/21/2021 9:02 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 1/21/21 1:43 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
I see that Tophat (based on XCsoar) has "LXNAV" as one of the
available communication protocols (when defining the "device").Â* Does
that apply to both LXNAV and LX Navigation (separate companies?)

(Reminds me of the Monty Python movie where the splinter groups "Judea
Liberation Front" are enemies of the "Front for Liberation of Judea",
or such.)

If Tophat (or XCsoar) is connected to an LX7007 via a bi-directional
cable, can one define the task in Tophat and then send it to the
LX7007?Â* And can one use Tophat to extract the IGC file from the
LX7007 after landing?Â* I do both of those with Tophat connected to a
PowerFLARM.

You can extract the igc file directly from tophat, I think.Â* It's been a
long time...

Yes Tophat makes an IGC file too. But it's not IGC-security-certified.
So if you want a "green V" on OLC, or, more importantly, if you want
to claim a soaring badge or record, you need the flight log from your
IGC-certified flight recorder, e.g., LX7007, or FLARM, etc. Tophat can
copy it from the FLARM (for example) that it is attached to, then the
file sits in the memory of the Android device alongside the file created
directly by Tophat. After flying, I leave the FLARM in the glider, but
take the Nook home, with those IGC files in its memory. (I can then
transfer them to a PC via SD card, USB cable, or wifi. I normally do
the latter, no need to plug the Nook into anything at home - it gets
charged while flying!)