Old January 15th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Don Tuite

Default Cherokee 235 vs Trinidad vs Comanche

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:27:47 -0500, Bob Noel
wrote:

In article ,
Newps wrote:

And never forget that big boost that Cessna got because their 172s and
182s were similar to the 152s that so many students trained in. Piper
really should have brought out a cheap 2 seat trainer that looked more
like a Cherokee, instead of the Trauma-hawk.

That's what the 140 was.

not really. The 140 is like a 150hp 172 in performance, way more
speed, etc than a 150/152

Part of its problem. The perception when I learned to fly, in '68,
was that the PA28-180 was the Piper alternative for the 172's
mission. The 140 was neither fish nor fowl, and offered the
temptation of two back seats that you could not safely fill with
adults.

My impression was also that there were far more FBOs with 150s to rent
than 140s. My actual experience as a student and renter was at
Torrance, but I think it was the same at Hawthorne, Santa Monica and
Van Nuys, the other 3 big GA airports on the West side of the LA
basin. I do believe that the prevalence of 150 trainers boosted
Cessna sales over Piper.

My personal impression was that Cessnas were crackerboxes with flight
controls that had all the precision of the gearshifter in a VW
Microbus, while Piper handling reminded me of steering 1950s Chevy
pickups. My favorite rentals were Yankees and the FBO's Luscombe 8E.
(I was skinnier then.)

Now, almost 40 years later, I'm grateful to fly what I can get my
hands on.

Don