Old August 7th 03, 01:33 AM

(Corey C. Jordan) wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:29:07 GMT, "Gord Beaman" ) wrote:

I don't doubt this too much, I've seen lots of tracer
ricocheting from the sea surface. We used to fire Browning .303's
from Lancaster nose turrets and likely 10 percent of our tracer
would bounce. Hell, we used to see bits and pieces of jacket
sticking into the rubber strip around the windscreens
occasionally.
--

-Gord.

I've fired countless thousands of rounds through M2HB BMGs and
richocets do occur even on seemingly soft ground (there are rocks and stones in
most topsoil layers).

However, the problem of geometry can't be overlooked. Any decent billiard
player understands the angles problems involved. So, I find it extremely
unlikely that rounds fired would:
A) Recochet at the correct angle.
B) The utter lack of energy retention due to bullet deformity.

Yes, I agree, I doubt that the ricochetting rounds would be too
worrisome to tanks, although I'm certainly no tank expert...just
doesn't 'feel' too dangerous to me.
--

-Gord.