Old June 6th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack

Default Which Ultralight to build.....

("Morgans" wrote)
Then, you get to the definition of the span to weight requirements of a
motorglider, which are not easy to meet. I do not think it meets the
requirements for a motorglider, by a long shot.

(Reposted in case someone didn't want to slog through my other post.)

As a 'Motorglider':
(ii) Maximum weight does not exceed 850 kg (1874 pounds);
and
(iii) The maximum weight to wing span squared (w/b2) does not exceed 3.0
kg/M2 (0.62 lb./ft.2).

500 lbs MTOW
and
28.5 ft wingspan = 812 (wing span squared)

500 lbs MTOW (/) 812 = 0.61576 lb./ft.2

....which does not exceed 0.62!

So yes, it is a motorglider

....IF the MTOW is 500 lbs
....or we go with longer wings
....or we follow the first link. g

http://www.usppa.org/Resources/FARs/part103_far.htm
(Part 103)

Home Depot Ultralight: aka "Motor Glider 101"
http://www.digitalmarketingusa.com/h...ltralight.html

Specifications:

Empty Weight: 254 lbs
Stall Speed: 30 mph
Cruise Speed: 55 mph @ 2600 rpm.
Fuel Capacity: 5 US Gallons.
Wing Span: 28' 6"

Gross Weight: Not established, however pilot flew prototype with 5 gallons
fuel, pilot weight 225 lbs.

Montblack