Old March 5th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default XM financial trouble

"Peter R." wrote in message
" wrote:

I just brought my XM service then found this:
http://www.katu.com/stories/83441.html

Any inside scoop?

No inside scoop, but as a ten year customer of Dish Network, the satellite
TV provider, I recall several similar articles about Dish back in the late
90s.

Let's hope XM retains or finds the management talent to weather this
short-term storm. Or perhaps Microsoft will step in, buy them out, and
save the day.

--
Peter

XM has six million paying subscribers and I believe the article said that
revenue has doubled from the year before. A hundred percent increase in
revenue per year means that XM is not going anywhere. They are just fine.
What I suspect is happening is that XM knows that when everyone has chosen a
very few customers will ever change providers so its important to get all
your customers signed up now. Thus they have decided to spend their revenue
signing up new subscribers this year to lock in decades of future profits.
Smart investors know this so they put out articles saying how XM is
operating at a loss driving the price of the stock down so they can buy in
to XM stock cheap this year and then rake in the cash later.