Old February 20th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Default annual interruptus

"Denny" wrote in message
ups.com...

Well, for what it is worth, the local radio shop refuses to install,
work on, or sign off as airworthy, any radio that contains parts that
are not traceable to a part number approved by the holder of the type
certificate, KING in this case... King for it's part will not put
itself at legal risk by allowing deviation from their engineering
drawings - understandable when the get rich quick activities of the
trial bar are viewed...

What the hell did you not understand about Toecutter's post about "radio
parts is parts"?

The radio guy, Ron, is not a bad guy and I can understand his refusal
to put his license to make a living at risk... I get the same thing
all the time, people asking me to do something that is against either
some regulation or contrary what I know is considered acceptable... I
have to say NO also...

THere are tens of thousands of "radio guys" in this country. FInd one that
knows what the hell (s)he is doing.

As far as changing out the part, I am capable of that, though I do not
have a VOR signal generator to align it... Nor do I have a schematic,
nor alignment instructions... Taint as easy as it may seem since
adjustments may interact...

What do you not understand about VOTs, grasshopper?

I am currently waltzing with a low noise, +7dBm oscillator in the 10
megacycle

Now we've got an old fart who hasn't transitioned into Hertz yet...

range which is to be injected into a passive FET balanced
mixer,

and as stupid DS to boot that says that a FET balanced mixer is passive.
FETs are active. How the hell do you get into a passive FET?

'cept the ouput is not a clean sine wave, which means one half
of the mixer output will not be the same amplitude as the other half
- bad news - as those who play with mixers will understand... I need
to play with the windings ratio of the output transformer to see if
that cleans it up... Otherwise, the original author is 'all' wrong...

We play with mixers all the day long. You haven't a clue, bozo. Go peddle
your papers elsewhere.

Jim