Old February 7th 05, 04:22 AM
Morgans

"mindenpilot" wrote

OK, you have to humor me on this.
I'm not talking about anything unrealistic (like Moller's skycar, etc).

***Unfortunately, it is unrealistic.

But what would prevent a design (even low performance/ultra light to

start)
that would allow a pilot to fly into an airport, then fold up his wings

and
cruise down surface streets at 45mph?

***Weight.

It doesn't sound that complex. I bet a homebuilder could do it with parts
laying around his garage.

***If it was not complex, it would have been done by now, by someone much
more brilliant than you and me.

The only serious issue I can think of is having a spinning prop on a city
street.
Even so, couldn't you "disengage" the prop and then couple the engine to

the
mains somehow?
I realize that is a bit more complex and would mean some kind of
transmission.

***Weight AND complexity, and lots of it.

I'm just throwing out ideas here.

It sure would be nice not to rent a car or get a taxi!
It also seems that there would be a MUCH larger interest in GA if people
could potentially commute this way.
For example, I would consider working in Reno and living in Minden if I
could fly into Reno, then commute to my work.

I'm serious about this, but I'm ready for the flames ;-)

Adam

No flames from me, but the problems are great, and the solutions are few.
In a world of building airplanes, you work to save ounces, and all the
things needed for your idea adds tens and fifties of pounds, for each extra
item needed.

A plane is said to be a system of compromises, flying in loose formation.
When you add all the extra stuff needed for an airplane car, it is way *too
* much of a compromise, and likely not be a good airplane, or car.
--
Jim in NC