Old May 23rd 13, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Interesting behavior from PowerSonic battery

On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:32:29 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
This is called "cell reversal" and does occassionally happen. My question is why do you think that you need a 14V battery? All modern aviation electronics is designed to operate on a wide range of input voltage. This is accomplished by a circuit called a "dc-dc converter" that boosts the input voltage to a higher, regulated, internal voltage. Tom

Well, 2G, where do you draw the line on "Modern" avionics? MicroAir radio? Becker 3201 radio? Becker 4201 radio? Filser ATR500? I have seen all of the above "crap out" on a 12 volt battery when my Cambridge computer and nav keep on working.

Be happy with your 12 volt system, and don't be diss-ing on me for my 14 volt system, OK?

And, yes. I am aware of cell reversal. I just hadn't seen it "self recover" when the load is removed.