Old January 20th 04, 07:44 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net said:
brackets in the new AOPA Flight Planner? As an example, there's an
intersection just south of the Wash D.C. Class B where V286 and V16 cross.
It's called TAPPA but the new AOPA flight planner also has [VIPKE] in
brackets. It also chose to highlight VIPKE on the enroute map as opposed to
TAPPA. The Jepp enroute chart simply has this as TAPPA with no alternate
names. I also can't seem to find this symbology anywhere else on the Jepp
chart.

In my FAA data, TAPPA and VIPKE are both classified as "REP-PT" with
almost the same latitude and longitude (37.97019333, 76.8446166 versus
37.970336111, 76.844478). However, in the DAFIF data TAPPA is classifed
as "NAMED FIX" and VIPKE is classified as "UNNAMED, CHARTED OR COMPUTER
NAV FIX".

No idea what the difference is, but I'm guessing that VIPKE isn't used for
much.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
If men are from Mars and women are from Venus, there's going to be one