Old January 20th 04, 08:39 PM
Marco Leon

Thanks Paul. Can you elaborate on your source of "FAA data?" And what does
DAFIF stand for? Sounds like a nice source for some techie aviation data...

I did some more research since I posted and Flight Explorer includes VIPKE
as a high-altitude fix when I toggle the fix display between high and low. I
know it's not scientific but I don't have a high altitude chart handy to
verify.

If it IS a high-altitude fix, seems like a low-severity defect on the AOPA
Flight Planner to choose VIPKE over TAPPA given a planned altitude of 8,000
feet.

Marco

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In my FAA data, TAPPA and VIPKE are both classified as "REP-PT" with
almost the same latitude and longitude (37.97019333, 76.8446166 versus
37.970336111, 76.844478). However, in the DAFIF data TAPPA is classifed
as "NAMED FIX" and VIPKE is classified as "UNNAMED, CHARTED OR COMPUTER
NAV FIX".

No idea what the difference is, but I'm guessing that VIPKE isn't used for
much.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/

http://www.usenet.com