Old October 21st 03, 10:07 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 10/21/03 2:46 PM, in article
, "
wrote:

I am interested in pursuing a career in the Navy or Marine Corps,
quite possibly as an Aviation officer. I recently met with a former
Army officer, and he was telling me about parts of a military career
that I didn't know about. For example, he mentioned that you can
become a "military attache" in another country. He also mentioned
embassy duties and working in the Pentagon. How hard are these kind of
tours to get? Is there a difference Navy vs. Marines?

Keep in mind that these things he's telling you about are jobs you can apply
for once you are in the military. You don't just say, "I'd like to do
that." And then go there. You are assigned.

Also, keep in mind, you're talking to an Army officer about Navy or Marine
Corps career paths which are quite different. For instance, as a pilot, you
wouldn't necessarily go to an attache job until you either (a) elect to or
(b) are forced into a "twilight" tour. Other than that, most pilots *try*
to stay in the cockpit because they love to fly, the the really good ones,
never leave the cockpit.

My other question was, in your experience, do the Naval Academy grads
fly up the ranks faster than the NROTC guys (or OCS)?

No, Boat School guys don't necessarily rise to the top faster. Sometimes
higher when nepotism is the only tie-breaker, but definitely not faster.
The easiest way to a commission is NROTC. The most fool-proof way to get
the job you want (at least it used to be) is AOCS, because USNA and NROTC
dudes don't necessarily get guaranteed aviation until they graduate. As an
AOCS guy, as long as I physically qualified, I had a pilot slot upon
graduation 14 weeks later... in writing.

I'm not fit enough to be a Marine right now, but if I decide I want to
go down that path, I will start to get into shape. Any other things
that I should think about? My reason for asking is I need to check the
Marine or Navy box on the NROTC application, and if I feel like I want
to be a Marine, a few other important college options would open up
for me.

Thanks!

Start now. Being in shape--i.e. no gut and being able to repeat 6:00 miles
makes life easier for you. Granted, it's not required, but it will take
some stress off once you get there.

Keep in mind also, that only about 10-15% (roughly) of a shrinking USMC
aviation program is jets. It's more like 35-40% of the Navy
program--especially with the demise of the maritime patrol community. The
Navy is your better percentage bet if you want to fly jets.

--Woody