Old May 19th 04, 01:04 AM
Kevin Brooks

"George" wrote in message
m...
"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

The immenent military fiction writer, W.E.B. Griffith, has covered that

CIA
H-19 story (with some literary license, of course) in his latest novel

(I am
a Griffith fan from way back--his initial "breakout" series, Brotherhood

of
War, was well received by us cadet types in college at the time, with

each
new book of the first three selling out quickly in the bookstore...).
Griffith puts Clancy to shame.

Brooks

From a current cadet type, I agree with you there on Griffith. I've
read his entire Brotherhood of War and Corps series.

If you like those books, check out Anton Myrer's "Once an Eagle". It, too,
follows a couple of soldiers through their lives, from WWI through a
Vietnamesque conflict (but the primary focus is WWI through WWII); it used
to be incluuded on the Army Chief of Staff's recommended reading list. Keeps
your interest, provides a great familiarization with the Army during the
interwar period, and is a pretty good study of true leadership versus
ticket-punching/ass-kissing self promotion. During the 1970's NBC did a
pretty good miniseries based upon it (first major role for Sam Elliot), but
it regrettably has never been released in DVD format.

Brooks